Cycle to Work Day is a national event held on 14 September 2016 that aims to encourage everyone to ditch the car and take to two wheels for the day! With the number of people who cycle to work on the rise, Cycle to Work Day are aiming to make those numbers skyrocket this year- and beyond!
Here at NBB, we want to encourage you to surpass just the one day, and change your commute for the better.
Here are just a few reasons to leave the car on the drive and get pedalling:
- KEEP FIT– kick start your day with a bit of exercise. Cycling on average burns just as many calories as jogging. It improves cardio-vascular and aerobic fitness and boosts energy and just think, you can have all of that done before you’ve sat down at your desk in the morning!
- BE HAPPIER – not only will you experience an increase in your self-esteem from being healthier and fitter, simply spending more time outdoors is proven to cheer you up, and together with the endorphins released from exercise, you’re sure to be on cloud nine!
- GET TO WORK QUICKER – the average speed of rush-hour traffic in London is 7mph and the average cycling speed is 13mph, and with 60% of car trips being less than 5 miles there’s no reason why you can’t hop on your bike in the morning.
- SAVE YOUR PENNIES – this is an obvious one. The cost of running a car is constantly on the rise. According to the RAC the annual cost of owning a car is just under £6000, but running a bike costs next to nothing.
- SAVE THE PLANET– taking to the saddle and leaving the car on the drive can have massive impacts on the environment. Vehicles give out 70% of air pollution in UK towns and cities, but bikes give out zero!
So on Wednesday 14 September 2016, give cycling to work a try and witness the benefits for yourself.